28 April 2011

imperfection is beauty


when i was a little kid, and by little kid i mean huge dork, i used to say that i wanted to be a "quote master" when i grew up. meaning a person who memorized anthologies of significant quotes; who not only could recite relevant passages at any given moment that could inspire the necessary feeling and understanding of joy, love, grief, cynicism; but who could then name the author, the year, the setting...

it was really tragic when i learned that such a job does not really exist, and if it does, it probably doesn't pay my rent.

but today i was talking with one of the lovely people in my life who was in a quandary about love, and how not to screw up it up, and, being as i am blessed with a really excellent person who puts up with some really atrocious shit from me, i was actually able to give decent advice.

and while i didn't say it out loud, i had a flashback to my notorious quote master days, and remembered the words of one of my childhood heroes (who i can only assume had different career aspirations as a child herself), norma jean baker:

"i'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. i make mistakes, i am out of control and at times hard to handle. but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."

is it dorky if it's a marilyn monroe quote?

love,
j

No comments:

Post a Comment