08 May 2011

mutti


earlier today, i wrote a long post trying to explain how much i love my mom.

then my computer died, and the internet went down, and it pretty much all disappeared in time for me to realize that no matter how hard i try, nothing that i write could adequately express what an incredible woman she is. nevertheless, i find myself trying...

she has it all: she's beautiful and smart and driven and well-liked. i could never have asked for a better mother. in times where we had very little, i didn't notice or suffer, in fact, she made everything (even what i'm sure were the hardest things) feel like an adventure to me. my childhood was such a happy one. as i grew up, she supported me in everything. she was there for everything. she was honest with me about everything. there wasn't a person in the world i trusted as much as her. she watched and waited and gave me good advice and tough love when i wasn't sure if my choices were the right ones. she has always been the person who was there when my heart was broken. and when i have celebrated my victories, accomplishments, and joys, she has without fail been there with me. she taught me to walk fast, eat standing up, multi-task, always tell the truth (even when it is terrifying), eat a little bit of the cheese by itself when you're making mac&cheese, laugh often, and be proud of the person i am.

when i look at her now, i see an incredible role model, an inspirational woman who reminds me of what i hope to someday be, and my very best friend in the world.

this morning we ran our first half-marathon together. it was more than a race for me: it was a reminder of how lucky i am to have the gift of being her daughter.

i love you mom.

love,
j

No comments:

Post a Comment