20 June 2011

a place where me and things go together



remember that scene in breakfast at tiffany's where holly golightly strolls up to the window at tiffany's and just stands there, staring in? she's wearing her famous black dress, and munching on a croissant, and doesn't want or need to be anywhere but there? to her it is such a beautiful place, a place where "nothing very bad could happen to you."

on my lunch break, i like to walk through downtown, see people's faces, breathe real air, smell the water. but especially, i like to plan my walk so i absolutely have no choice but to go by luly yang and stare in at lovely things. i never have pearls or my hair done (today i had playdough on my pants and glitter rubbed, perhaps permanently, into my scalp), but i feel much the same way.

they used to have this gorgeous red dress that reminded me of the gown the original barbie used to wear... it was the kind of dress that made me feel like i'd spend a million dollars to have it, if i had a million dollars (i think in reality it's about $30,000, i can't remember exactly, because when i asked it was such a glaringly large amount i had to smile and turn around and walk out the front door). and then, after a few weeks, they pulled it back to make room for newer models, none of which have rivaled its beauty to date.

and then today, i wasn't even thinking about that shop, and i went to go buy a congratulations card at a perfect stationary store, and on my way back over the hill, there it was... and just like a kid, i let out a little gasp. it's really breathtaking, and i want it so much it hurts a little.

so there's only one solution, really. i'm going to have to learn how to sew.

love,
j

No comments:

Post a Comment